Unconventionally Speaking

Unconventional Green Energy

Conventional green energy is typically produced by harnessing wind, water or solar power.  These sources are considered green because they produce practically no pollution while converting these natural energy sources into useful electricity, unlike traditional fossil fuel combustion processes.

The increase in electricity generation using solar and wind power have given rise to discussions around reliability and availability of green power and driving many power companies to provide backup capacity.  Wind and solar energy are subject to climate conditions and not always available, which make them an imperfect renewable power solution. The alternative is to reduce power consumption, or to store the energy somehow and draw from it when needed.

Our technology sidesteps many of the issues around conventional green technology by providing constant power 24/7 that is not dependent on climate conditions.  This is considered “baseload” power. The fuel cell stack uses the energy contained in natural gas to generate heat and electricity via an electrochemical process instead of combustion, resulting in the exhaust being mostly air, water and some CO2 versus nearly all noxious gases.  Further, we are able to capture the exhaust stream, preventing any CO2 emissions.  Our expectation is that 20% of the green electricty produced will be consumed by our operation, and the remaining 80% sold to the local utility as green, baseload power.  The fuel cells provide clean electricity and heat while not requiring any backup capacity.  Both the heat and the electricity are put to good use.

Comments are closed.